[lbo-talk] South Ossetia

W. Kiernan wkiernan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 18:22:18 PDT 2008

Bob Morris wrote:

> By "thug", I meant gangster, not sadist. Georgia

> apparently started it, Russia has hugely over-reacted.

> Can't see anyone worth supporting here. Your mileage

> may vary.

If the Russian report of the death toll from the massive artillery attack on Tskhinvali are correct (I'm aware that's a big "if") then the Georgians managed to butcher two percent of the population of South Ossetia in two days flat. If that is the case then I would not say the Russians over-reacted.

I just went to Yahoo News to check how to spell "Tskhinvali" (glad I don't have pronounce it) and saw a news report headlined "Thousands forced to flee Russian bombing raids." Yet, as of a couple hours ago I had seen not a word nor image anywhere in the U.S. media for the last three days about 1,500-2,000 killed in Tskhinvali, nor of 30,000 Ossetians who fled across the Russian border ahead of the Georgian armored advance.

On the 8th, when I first read about the Russian invasion and was wondering "why would they have done that?" I found not a single clue anywhere in the N.Y. Times, AP, CNN or any other U.S. news outlet. You'd have thought the Russians attacked just for fun. I Googled and Googled and finally found, in the far-off Times of India, the story of the about the Georgian artillery attack on Tskhinvali.

yrs WDK