[lbo-talk] South Ossetia

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Aug 12 08:56:50 PDT 2008

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> and to make
> morally pretty speeches about who's the greater thug and who deserves
> our 'support' (as if this hackneyed lefty concept, a conceptual
> phantom limb from more cohesive days, has any meaning in the 21st
> century)

Very nicely put. Actually, the concept of "critical support" has always been, for the most part, a manifestation of what I like to call "sandbox politics." It has reality if and onnly if the body offerinng both support and criticism is of such minimal political weight thatm at keast potentially its approval/disapproval makes a material difference to both parties. (In some contexts, moral weight is itself a material difference; at the present time leftists in the u.s. cannot pretend to such significance, and when they do pretend they rather resemble the flea approaching the elephant with intentions of rape. Such morally pretty speeches onnly reflect the self-iportance of the speaker.

Carrol