[lbo-talk] Matthew Rothschild: No Good Guys in Russia-Georgia War

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Tue Aug 12 11:32:28 PDT 2008

>Thanks, good stuff.
>
>Very reasonable.

I suppose, if reasonableness is your thing. Sometimes evenhandedness means not saying anything, though.

> > We don't need a new Cold War with Russia, which still has a couple of
> > thousand nuclear weapons that can hit our shores in 15 minutes.

The thing I've noticed is that there seems to be a general consensus -- shared by pwogs like Rothschild, commenters at Lenin's Tomb, and neocons like Kagan -- that the Georgia-Russia war means the geopolitics and resource-wars are back. Accepting for the moment that they were ever gone, this realization of this fact seems to come with relief. Now everyone can return to quoting Lenin and Chomsky and talk about world politics as if it were all a question of analyzing the relations between states, especially the two major poles, and figuring out where the clients play into it. The cold war's back, and it feels good.