[lbo-talk] South Ossetia

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 16:55:51 PDT 2008

Yale.

Saakashvilli I think it a Yale grad, maybe with Harvard law after.

So Chuck's mention of the AES documentary is interesting. A couple years ago I was in this workshop where we were broken into groups and assigned oranges, production equipment for juice, and something else. We were supposed to figure out some kind of trading regimen so that we could make OJ. Don't remeber if there was any kind of profit element but we did get to cost minimmization. Still not sure how this exercise was related to the topic of the workshop, but the nice overeducated white people in our group all got to a cartel really fast where we were paying pennies for oranges and they were quite concentrated in one or two people's hands.

he person running the workshop told us when she ran the same exercise in Georgia, the participants all took turns buying one orange each at some reasonable price. This was post-Soviet era, but I wonder if anyonehas current refs about economic behavior there now. What has Saakashvilli and the petro line done for the country? Russia may be richer, but I bet it also has greater inequality.

This line of thought is off topic from the stew of the current fiasco but I wonder if the Ossetians wanting to leave knowwhat they are infor.

DC