[lbo-talk] South Ossetia

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 17:15:52 PDT 2008

I assume by "leave" you mean "have South Ossetia become part of Russia." That doesn't really parse, because Russia does not have one unitary culture. South Ossetians want to unify with North Ossetia, which has a very different culture from Moscow oblast, say. And Ossetians are very different culturally from Georgians, in fact.

I have no idea what Georgia's Gini is, but really, I don't think it's possible to make meaningful comparisons of this sort between an area smaller than Rhode Island and an area the size of the Moon. It's like comparing inequality inside my famly and inequality in New York City.

Russia may be richer,