[lbo-talk] 3rd party candidates getting zip

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 13 04:01:00 PDT 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 4:03 AM, Tahir Wood wrote:

> McKinney [immeasurably small]
>
> Interesting concept. Does it mean less than one person? If not, how
> could it not be measurable? And if around 2% equals zip, when does zip
> become something? 3%? 4%?

"Immeasurably small" was my crude way of saying "<0.5%." In a poll with about 1000 respondents, numbers that small are close to indistinguishable from 0. "Zip" is an equally tendentious way of saying "next to nothing." There is basically no support for third- party candidates in the U.S. this year, though you'd never know that by reading some left-wing forums. In previous elections around this time, they were polling 5% or higher (which usually declined by election day).

Here's some more from Gallup:

<http://www.gallup.com/poll/109435/Support-ThirdParty-Candidates-Appears-Limited-Thus-Far.aspx