[lbo-talk] Image Restoration via Truthiness: American Media and Russia

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 14 08:59:41 PDT 2008

Someone quoted by Dwayne Monroe:

> >From time to time, we'll get into an argument about religion. How
> should we feel about it? Can 'The Left' learn from Christian
> organizing? Are we too atheist or not atheist enough? Why did I dream
> of launching a nuclear strike against Heaven as a boy?

This makes the elementary mistake, a mistake which garbles the content, of assuming "The Left" names anything coherent about which coherent statements can be made. Since no entity or even loose coalition of entities exists about which such statments can be made, there is nothing really to say in response. One might mention however that the writer obviously has not been reading much lbo traffic, since once could make a medium size book about the importance of religion to leftist organizing just from posts to this list over the last 10 yers. Hennce we must assume the writer is referring to an empirical actuality which has no existence outside his persnal imagination.

It is as though he/she had written a vigorous post arguing that Del Monte ought get into the pineapple business or that Walmart shoudlc consider opening retail outlets.

> Important questions, all.

This is abstractly true, but not true in respect to the questions in the context in which they have been raised.

Carrol