[lbo-talk] Image Restoration via Truthiness: American Media and Russia

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 12:27:48 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 6:29 AM, Dwayne Monroe <dwayne.monroe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry but no, I'm not "misstating the problem", which, from the POV of
> my starter post, had little or nothing to do with winning a 'PR war'.
> The "problem" I was referring to was a general lack of un-faith in
> American media reports re: actions abroad. A more lasting issue than
> the crisis of the moment.

Comrade Monroe, be reasonable. It's called "writing a *story*". It has to have narrative or people won't buy it. Either you come up with a competing narrative or you lose. People don't only understand things with their intellects, they understand with their emotions. The anti-Putin narrative is easy to expand on and, frankly, it just makes more sense.

Vladimir Putin qua humanitarian hero may work on this board, but it's just plain some weak-ass shit. My point is that the Russians are smarter than that and - if they were looking outwards, not inwards - they should have come up with something better than that.

Look at the British. Now I don't like Mugabe, but I can add and subtract as well as anybody. The British have made Mugabe out to be the worst mass killer of all time - meanwhile more people are killed in political violence in Iraq and Aghanistan in a month or two than Mugabe's murderers have killed during the whole crisis. And of course the British report Zimbabwe's hyper-inflation without ever referencing the fact that they themselves put in sanctions that started it. Now *that* is the power of narrative.

Again, I despise Mugabe, but the story is raaathah overdone. Still, couldn't happen to a nicer dictator.

But I digress. The point is that the Kremlin narrative does not and will not pass the laugh test for an American audience.

I actually did reference the problem you outlined, but let me make it more clear: it is not that Americans believe the news media. It is that the news media believes the news media and officials, etc.. The news media in this country are a species of fearful pack animal relative to other medias. They are liberal in thought, conservative in action, lazy and self-involved.

THAT is the problem.