[lbo-talk] Image Restoration via Truthiness: American Media and Russia

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 11:31:05 PDT 2008

On 14/08/2008, rayrena <rayrena at realtime.net> wrote:

> They are Russian citizens because over the last few years
> Russia has handed out citizenship and passports to anyone in
> South Ossetia who would take them.

I believe I alluded to this in my previous email although you deleted it in your reply. The point is they *are* Russian citizens, for whatever reason. That is not the case in your US/Haiti/Guatemala analogy.

> More generally, I'm not
> all that comfortable with states' having the right to/should
> do something because "their" citizens (are alleged to) want
> that.

But we're not talking about them having a blanket right to do something just because their citizens want it. We're talking about them having a right to intervene when their citizens are being slaughtered. That seems to me to be a pretty basic obligation on the part of any state, to try to prevent its citizens being slaughtered.

I think we can take it as more than an "allegation" that most people facing slaughter would want their state to try to prevent it.