[lbo-talk] Sad Leninism.

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 06:28:17 PDT 2008

On 18/08/2008, Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

> Yes, well, you know what I mean: no one in the community of international
> law types would.
>
> The citizenship your describing is acknowledged on some level by both
> givers and receivers to be semi-fictional. Neither side is expecting the
> state to put up any time soon.

Yet in the case of Russia and South Ossetia the argument is being put forward that the giving of citizenship is itself very nearly an act of aggression. Actually, there have been some people on this island (unionists) who would interpret Ireland's policy as such. But it's never seemed to exercise anyone in the community of international law types, not in the way that Russia's policy does. That was the point I was making.

> If we allowed citizenship of this sort to be a valid ground for invading as
> a general principle,

Sigh. The citizenship of the people involved was used as justification for actions carried out in response to an act of extreme violence perpetrated against those people. I haven't heard anybody extrapolating that into a position that invasion is ok under any and all other circumstances.