[lbo-talk] Putin = Opposition to Capital?????

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 18 11:33:59 PDT 2008

On Aug 18, 2008, at 2:13 PM, boddi satva wrote:

> I'm gathering that people here see Vladimir Putin's Russia as some
> kind of counterweight to Capital.

No one here has said anything like that. In fact, I'm guessing most think that Russia is a more or less capitalist country. The only virtue to a resurgent Russia - aside from the fact that it's made most Russians better off than they were during the 1990s, when they were run by Clinton, Harvard, and the IMF via Yeltsin - is that it offers a counterweight to U.S. imperial power. The U.S. had it easy in the 1990s. Now with Russia - not to mention China - it can't have its way anymore. Which is, on balance, a good thing.

Doug