[lbo-talk] Sad Leninism.

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 20:16:55 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 4:38 PM, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The figure actually comes from the South Ossetian government's initial statement. IIRC HRW (look at all those acronyms) obtains its figure from looking at numbers of bodies in the morgue, and so does not include bodies lost under rubble, etc. How you could shell a city for a day with heavy artillery (nerf missiles?) and only kill 44 people is hard for me to understand.

Which is why I said I did not believe either number. The South Ossetian government has obvious motives for lying on this issue. Human Rights Watch has minimized this type of statistic when dealing with official U.S. allies before. But if there are 44 people in the morgue total - doesn't that make 1,500 look a bit high? Especially since Russia has now occuiped South Ossetia long enough to dig out survivers (there are usually survivors trapped in rubble) and recovering some of the bodies while they are at it. Why can't you just admit we don't know all the facts on this, but that there is at least as much reason to be skeptical of Russian and South Ossetian claims as of Georgian claims? The HRW morgue survey is not a final number - but it is a data point.