[lbo-talk] What They Teach You at Harvard Business School

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Aug 21 11:56:24 PDT 2008

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> Yesterday, I argued with a guy about the US' response to the
> Russia/Georgia conflict. He insisted that the United States needed
> 'get tough' and show that 'we're back'.

Huh? But "we" are not "back." The U.S. and NATO are revealed as totally ineffectual to do anything about Russia. On what does this bozo base his notion of backness?

Doug

^^^^ CB: Dwayne is just the messenger, but furthermore, if we were to go "back" to the era of the Soviet Union, the US then would have been even less able to do anything when Georgia was part of the Soviet Union. Of course, Georgia wouldn't be attacking S. Ossetia then . Not only that, then the US wouldn't have been able to put Star Wars systems in Poland either.

The US is more "back" now then it was back then.

Wish that we were _back_ in the USSR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_in_the_USSR

"That Georgia's always on my mind" ( Allusion to song made famous by Ray Charles)

"Back In The U.S.S.R."

Flew in from Miami Beach BOAC Didn't get to bed last night On the way the paper bag was on my knee Man, I had a dreadful flight I'm back in the USSR You don't know how lucky you are, boy Back in the USSR

Been away so long I hardly knew the place Gee, it's good to be back home Leave it till tomorrow to unpack my case Honey, disconnect the phone I'm back in the USSR You don't know how lucky you are, boy Back in the USSR

Well, the Ukraine girls really knock me out They leave the West behind And Moscow girls make me sing and shout That Georgia's always on my mind

I'm back in the USSR You don't know how lucky you are, boy Back in the USSR

Well, the Ukraine girls really knock me out They leave the West behind And Moscow girls make me sing and shout That Georgia's always on my mind

Show me 'round your snow peaked mountains way down south Take me to your daddy's farm Let me hear your Balalaikas ringing out Come and keep your comrade warm I'm back in the USSR You don't know how lucky you are, boy Back in the USSR