[lbo-talk] What They Teach You at Harvard Business School

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 13:15:02 PDT 2008

Doug:

Huh? But "we" are not "back." The U.S. and NATO are revealed as totally ineffectual to do anything about Russia. On what does this bozo base his notion of backness?

Tough talk from McCain.

See, that tough talk (which apparently will be backed up by 'tough' action once McCain hits the oval office!) bravely warns the Russians that at least some Americans are willing to stand up against...wait for it: 'fascism'.

Everything old is new again.

Of course, I asked Bob (let's just call him that for convenience) what 'tough action' might be on the menu of this coming McCain administration. This is when the Tom Clancy portion of the show began featuring an exciting tour of America's super accurate and spectacularly destructive arsenal of 'smart' ordinance. 'Technically impressive, but not working out so well in Iraq and Afghanistan' I said, keeping my responses tight and to the point.

Which gave him the opportunity to use an old line: 'we're too nice; we haven't been ruthless enough.'

Didn't some of you hear this during the Vietnam era? Weren't there jackasses who ignored the carpet bombing, the deforestation, the ton upon ton of metal hurled against the Vietnamese and concluded, astoundingly, that failure came from our unexampled niceness and 'lack of will'?

Well, bad ideas die hard!

If Bob were alone this would only be a silly vignette about a blowhard. But a lot of Americans share these views, which are not merely 'conservative' but counter-real.

.d.