[lbo-talk] The Myth of the Tragedy of the Commons

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Aug 26 19:04:47 PDT 2008

shag wrote:

[clip]>
> At 02:03 PM 8/26/2008, Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:
[clip]> >
> >In the recent book _Real Utopia_, people pointed out how poorly we're
> >socialized to deal with each other as equals.

Equality is a tricky concept. See an interesting debate on Ma5x and Equality, part of a debate on the wealth gap, in lbo-talk in 2000.

There was an extensive debate over whether Marx Why Decry the Wealth Gap

The debate began with the following:

[mbs] Someone wrote: In fact, to follow your manner of speaking, I would proclaim that anyone not interested in equality can hardly be considered a leftist of any sort.

What about Karl Marx, who showed a great deal of interest in freedom and virtually none in equality? See, among other things, his famous atatck on "equal right" in the Critique of the Gotha Programme.

See: <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2000/2000-January/001810.html>

Some useful observations at: http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2000/2000-January/001964.html

I would agree with the posters above: Marx showed a great deal of interest in freedom and none at all in equality, which he thought quite absurd.

Carrol