[lbo-talk] Real/unreal - so what ?

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Wed Aug 27 19:45:38 PDT 2008

On Aug 27, 2008, at 6:03 PM, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> Re: 'greater power'...
>

> There are plenty of belief systems which "describe the role of human
> life as a part of a balanced cosmic system". Trouble is, competing
> schools of adherents never agree on the particulars and eventually get
> to smashing each other on the head with chairs, hammers, surface to
> surface missiles and microwave disrupters. Deadly! And dull.

That's why I used "logical" as a qualifier. [...defining 'a greater power' that is logical and naturally 'green' .]

And logic is why I expressed my interest here, in a forum where logic and rhetoric are primary considerations.

It seems that everyone here recognizes in some sense that there are a wide range of humans who need a mechanism to bind them together and help them understand their existence. A belief system. How could it hurt as an intellectual exercise to describe a logical extension of our known universe into a 'greater power'.

Like you say - there are plenty of belief systems out there. That they serve some purpose is self-evident. But they also are subject to the 'chairs and hammers'. What would a 'greater power' have to look like to be at least acceptable to Dwayne ?

The only thing that I can work out lies in a metaphor of 'greater power' as the logical extension of the sequential progressions of energy bundles bound together in orbiting shells. And I can see how a story of 'nine circles' might attempt to encompass this metaphor.

> Better, I think, to focus our 'green' musings on de-carbonization's
> social and technical requirements and leave the cosmic re-alignment
> quest for weekends lubricated with Belgian ale.

What I remember of ale is ballantine 3ring in a green longneck. I thought that it tasted a little like over mature carrots. Fortunately, my memory of lubrication is fresh enough to keep me safe. Tell me more about belgian ale - is it imported or locally produced by craft brewers in your area ?

martin