[lbo-talk] Real/unreal - so what ?

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 13:01:23 PDT 2008

martin wrote:

It seems that everyone here recognizes in some sense that there are a wide range of humans who need a mechanism to bind them together and help them understand their existence. A belief system. How could it hurt as an intellectual exercise to describe a logical extension of our known universe into a 'greater power'.

<snip>

What would a 'greater power' have to look like to be at least acceptable to Dwayne ?

The only thing that I can work out lies in a metaphor of 'greater power' as the logical extension of the sequential progressions of energy bundles bound together in orbiting shells. And I can see how a story of 'nine circles' might attempt to encompass this metaphor.

We already have an epic story to tell, one which describes a 'greater power' with increasingly subtle detail. This epic's stanzas are being written and re-written by biologists, physicists, geologists and a host of others working to understand and describe nature.

The 'greater power' is the universe itself; from the unseen to the super-massive. Witnessing wonders such as a thunderhead at night, shining like a gossamer cathedral as blue-white tendrils of lightning flicker within, or robotic probe relayed images of Saturn and her children or any of the innumerable aspects of life and non-life, the proper response is informed awe. What is 'informed awe'? It's the feeling you get when you observe a natural event -- or see an especially well designed tech at work -- and bring to your viewing some understanding of the process in play, of the mechanics in motion.

Your wonder isn't diminished; it grows.

That works for me but obviously isn't enough for billions of others who, in a practical way enjoy the products of research (everyone likes having a microwave around) but for meaning, prefer what seem to be more emotionally engaging stories (Jesus died for your sins, Krishna whispered to Arjuna, the Prophet brought truth from the desert, and so on).

So, regardless of how lovely, useful and true the Cosmos tale may be, it's unlikely to serve as a universal narrative.

martin asked:

What I remember of ale is ballantine 3ring in a green longneck. I thought that it tasted a little like over mature carrots. Fortunately, my memory of lubrication is fresh enough to keep me safe. Tell me more about belgian ale - is it imported or locally produced by craft brewers in your area ?

I could write a sonnet about the beauties of Duvel; Belgium's greatest gift to humanity.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duvel_Moortgat_Brewery>

But there are other Belgian gifts:

<http://beerblog.genx40.com/archive/2005/january/belgiangolden>

Most of what I've enjoyed (in moderation!) has been imported. But there are local craftspeople -- some are my beer hobbyist friends -- who're doing their part.

There is, for example, Three Philosophers, brewed, I believe, in New York --

<http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/42/3457>

.d.

-- "To Brock Samson! Long live that long haired, butter creamed frosted murder cake!."

Col. Hunter Gathers ...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/