[lbo-talk] tragedy of the commons and individuality

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Fri Aug 29 10:36:19 PDT 2008

The logical contradiction or paradox in the notion of The Individual, or the individual in general is that every generalization about __ individual reduces the uniqueness, the individuality of ___individual.

Using the article "the" instead of the article "a" for "individual" immediately erodes the individuality of the "individual". "_The_ individual" is an oxymoron. Whatever individuals share with other individuals is not part of their individuality.

In logical extreme, each one of us must "discover" our own individuality alone (!). To the extent that we talk with others about "individuality" with the aim of making our individuality "better" , we immediately erode the individuality of that individuality.

The word "individual" , as perhaps a derivative of the lexical items "indivisible part of the whole", hints at this paradox.

Fundamental individuality is based on the facts that I can't be born for you, nor you for me; I can't eat your food for you, sleep for you; I can't die for you. Each member of the species is condemned to individual freedom, to individuality, in these. But the vast sociality, culture , of all humans means that most of what is unique in human individuals is rooted in the social, not the natural individual human organism or their genes.

Charles