[lbo-talk] Congestion pricing may not hurt the poor, study finds

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Fri Aug 29 18:48:00 PDT 2008

I'm for more social transit, rail, bus, bicycle lanes, denser cities, the whole bit. Supporting it with numbers -- demonstrating a net drain of GDP -- is a whole different story, however. Imagining what happens if a system shuts down is not really a fair comparison. Over time people would adjust, private outfits would focus on the most lucrative choke points. It's not a foregone conclusion that GDP would be lower. I think it probably would, but that's just what I think.

>> Though with no metro, people would have adjusted their behavior
>> and found some way to cope, albeit with less efficiency and higher costs.
>
> ... which would be a net drain on GDP. I think it comes down to: it's
> going to get done anyway, why not do it in the most efficient, fair way?
> BTW, what makes you think that the Metro isn't just such an adjustment
> already? There was a time, you know, before the Metro :-)
>
>> I wouldn't be so sure that outside finance is more progressive
>> than fares. Don't forget, someone paying a fare is getting
>> something back directly.
>
> *shrug*
>
> They "get" to go to work?

They get a trip that cost much more than what they pay.

> But I think the general idea stands: congestion pricing is bad policy.

The public sector is so starved for money, in my book any way you can get more is worth consideration, except maybe gambling-related (because for some vulnerable types, it destroys their lives).

>> regional/metropolitan systems are financed predominantly by state and
>> local revenues as far as taxes go, and as everyone knows those are not
>> as progressive as Federal taxes.
>
> True, though most states that have an income tax have a progressive one.
> It's only places like Illinois and Colorado that are stupid about it :-)
> That being said, California's top bracket is like $45k ... which is
> pretty low.

I don't think so. Most state income taxes are pretty flat, IMO.