[lbo-talk] Congestion pricing may not hurt the poor, study finds

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Aug 29 19:07:34 PDT 2008

Max writes:

> Most state income taxes are pretty flat, IMO.

I guess that depends on what you mean by "pretty flat" ... 34 of the states do have rates that rise with income; 9 have no income tax at all (which I count as mostly progressive because all but Nevada and Wyoming have business income taxes[*]); and 7 have flat income taxes.

I guess by 'pretty flat' you mean 'not as progressive as the Federal income tax' which I guess by any measure is true. And of course we can argue about whether the brackets should be bigger, or the rates higher (both of which I'd be for).

But: I don't think I'm going to let you get away with this one :-)

/jordan

[*] Tennessee is a weird one; they have a flat tax on income from stocks and bonds, but no personal or business income tax ...