[lbo-talk] nutters electrified

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 29 19:39:26 PDT 2008

I'm not good on horse race stuff, but I think McCain's pick was strategically brilliant.

Not only did the timing steal thunder from Obama's speech, it obscured McCain's own 72nd birthday, throwing it (and his age) out of the news cycle for the most part.

The GOP basically not only blunted post-Dem convention euphoria, they now can look forward to their own bounce at the GOP convention, and I can't think of anything Dems could do in return that would be this dramatic to steal post-GOP convention thunder.

Is there some agreed-upon format that says the GOP convention always has to come after the Dem convention? if the GOP convention had happened *before* the Democratic Convention, the Palin pick would be a non-issue for the most part. In fact, Palin might'nt have even been picked.

Telegenically, imagining Barack Obama next to McCain on TV, it is obvious who would appear more dynamic and charismatic, likable, etc. But imagining Biden debating Palin, who would appear more dynamic, etc., then? Palin has the "new media," Tina Fey look, and regardless of weirdness about her brother-in-law (is that ALL they can come up with??), that will attract some disenchanted Hillary voters, of whom a few I know -- women who were going to sit out the election because Barack won the Dem nomination, but who now may not. I don't know.

If McCain is elected, given his age, Palin could literally become the first female President. Very, very weird.

-B.

123hop at comcast.net wrote:

"Although selecting a female vp was obviously the right thing to do, he didn't pick the right one. As an anti-obortion candidate, she will not get most of the Hillary vote. Moreover, McCain is old and might die which would put a forty-something female nonentity in the presidential seat. In other words, picking her for vp is more likely to lose than gain votes."