[lbo-talk] nutters electrified

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 19:59:25 PDT 2008

Sign me up for nutball reprogramming if you want but I LOVE this choice. I still have no intention of voting for McCain and I think anyone who votes for McC because of it is NUTS. I think Hillary HAS been treated badly in lots of ways, but I think she should use all the national exposure she has gained on the campaign trail to be a powerhouse legislator. The President just signs legislation. It is really up to Congress to get things working! (Am I holding my breath? Uhhhhh!)

But I like this choice for a whole bunch of reasons:

Condi's talents would be wasted as Veep. Unless she herself wants to run for Prez, no way should she mess around as Veep. No opinion about some of the other also-rans. I definitely do not look for McC to take on the race issues that would come with naming Condi anyway.

I admit it is fun to watch some erstwhile feminists go ballistic about selection of a wife and mother and governor being a slap in the face to women everywhere. OF COURSE she was chosen because of her gender. She was chosen because of all the lobbying and politicking of a lot of women all over the country, and right now that's FINE. We should celerate and we still should not let the Repugs get away with all the other stuff they may try to pull. Hello y'all. This is the west here and we grow our women plenty strong out here even if they come from their own mold.

I am not sure how I come down on the governor firing the public safety director over her sister's divorce. If the sister's ex really DID taser an 11-yr-old stepson, HE PROBABLY SHOULD NOT BE A COP. A few years ago a local cop near Seattle murdered his divorcing wife in front of their children and then think up the line in a police agency. I would want to know more about the whole situation before this scored as an unambiguous minus.

Ditto for Gov. Palin's husband and his position in the oil industry. Production Operator is a pretty blue-collar job title, not exactly an oil industry power broker and his manhood seems to be holding up fine around his powerful wife. Get Gov Palin out of AK talking to the rest of the country and let's see what kind of conversations come up about the future of energy.

As lon as Palin has even a THIN veneer or cred as a reformer, I think it could be really fun to watch the republican plutocracy tripping all over themselves trying to clean up their acts in Palin's presence. As long as women traditionally enjoy higher expectations of trustworthiness and integrity, I say she should go to town. Not like DC does not need it or anything.

This choice is raw meat to the pro-life crowd. Getting a young pretty face who is solid on that issue will be giving some of the pro-life folks frissons of bliss. Getting this woman in the pipeline for higher office might not go anywhere right away if McCain loses, but it could go a long way toward burnishing her for something down the line.

So keep trying Repubs. If you are lucky, McCain will still lose and the country will be better off just for Palin running.