[lbo-talk] nutters electrified

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 09:25:08 PDT 2008

Dorene:

...my standards are low, about the level of that bumper sticker that says "We need a President who is literate in at least one language."

Condi is literate in at least two. That unfortunately does not make up for her boss, but....

[...]

It's interesting that you inserted that line about her cleverness not 'making up for her boss'. It's interesting because it suggests that she doesn't share equal responsibility and is, maybe, not as odious a person. What's implied (and maybe just implied and perhaps, not your intention at all) is that she isn't a true believer, isn't a war lord.

This sort of thing comes up a lot re: Bush and the women who work on his team. Some people seem to give them an extra benefit of the doubt as if, because of their polish (and maybe just because they're women and women are assumed to be less likely to sanction mass murder) they aren't really a serious component of the machine.

In 2005, Doug interviewed Laura Flanders, author of Bushwomen, about this very topic:

Radio Interview --

<http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio_1.html#050407>

And, in 2004, Doug spoke with Cynthia Enloe about related topics:

Transcript --

<http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Enloe.html>

Radio Interview --

<http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio_1.html#040520>

I consider Enloe's and Flander's insights to be a correction to the idea that the Bush admin's female members are a better class of monster.

.d.