[lbo-talk] nutters electrified

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Sat Aug 30 10:33:24 PDT 2008

Carrol:

>I am of course in complete agreement with Dwayne on this. I wish to add
>a couple footnotes.
>
>I was _als_ greatly disturbed by the demand for a "literate" president.
>
>It is almost obscene to ascribe any aspect of the murderous foeign and
>domestic policies of the Bush Adminnistration to the alleged
>"illiteracy" or lack of intelligence exhibited by Bush.

Again with the "murderous"? ;-)

Actually, it's worse than you say, because intelligence and illiteracy apply not just to those in power but rebound on the rest of "us." What arguments like this say is that those who are unintelligent and illiterate -- which is another way of saying those that make their living by their hands -- are predisposed to all sorts of barbaric behaviors. The intelligent and illiterate, on the other hand, are naturally civilized, humane, peaceful, and nonexploitative. They are the proper leaders of men. Maybe this is an occupational pitfall of activism, to see yourself and other "informed" people as those that can "educate" others, lead the rest of humanity to utopia.

Such arguments ultimately subscribe to the capitalist notion that the split between owners and workers is natural and right.