[lbo-talk] nutters electrified

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 11:32:48 PDT 2008

Thanks for the Flanders and ENloe references. I will check them out when I have time.

No argument from me that gender exempts anyone from complicity in Bush admin crimes. But as long as this election has identity politics all over it, it's worth asking questions and seeing where they lead:

--What issues does Condi face as an woman or an African-American woman that a white man would not. Smart woman taking up with a dumb guy? The monkey cartoons I ran across one time in some foreign press? Do these issues matter either to her effectiveness as a tool of empire or to the person costs/ benefits of the roles she chooses to play?

--What's with feminists mocking Sarah Palin because she is a former beauty queen who went to college at a state U in ID, one of the key tools for educating the middle class, instead of, say, slugging it out with the cream of the elite at the Ivy leagues?

--Are the Obamas really elitist because they got scholarships to mix it up in the class wars in Ivy League schools. Or if their experiences were anything like mine, do they deserve extra regular person credit for putting up with all the elitists and parochial sense of entitlement, not to mention the work of having to serve as pioneers with many fewer comparable role models than peers whose families have strolled those halls for generations? --Is Obama's speech on Thursday really a fulfilment of Martin Luther King's dream or is it a cynical manipulation of many folks desires to assume racial issues are over? I think it's kind of easy to fetishize MLK without going anywhere near his radical critics of war and empire, but I would still rather be looking at MLK's face adnd thinkinga bout the I have a Dream speech than at a bunch of smug white folks who look too much like my relatives.

I have more to say than I have time to write today, but it will be a long campaign and I expect these topics to come up again.