[lbo-talk] nutters electrified

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 10:53:59 PDT 2008

On 30/08/2008, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Palin has the "new media," Tina Fey look, and
> regardless of weirdness about her brother-in-law (is
> that ALL they can come up with??), that will attract
> some disenchanted Hillary voters, of whom a few I know
> -- women who were going to sit out the election
> because Barack won the Dem nomination, but who now may
> not. I don't know.

I am a bit worried about the "all they can come up with" part. I heard a ranking Democratic apparatchik on the radio this morning and his main criticism of her seemed to be that she was only qualified to run a day care centre. Which may be true, but it's hardly the type of analogy you want to use when you're trying to keep women onside.

Palin, to me, seems to have a HUGE number of negatives. That she's not just anti-abortion but batshit anti-abortion. The Schafly endorsement. The climate change denial. It should be so easy to paint her as a complete and utter right wing loon, which after all she is. I can't believe she would appeal to Hillary supporters once they find out what she's all about.

Plus, I got the impression that the whole Hillary thing was not only that she was a woman, but a QUALIFIED woman, no mere token, passed over for a less experienced man. Palin on the other hand is plainly a token, and offering her up for the number two position on the basis that that'll be enough to placate supporters of a woman they believed was genuinely the best qualified for number one ... I think if I was one of these Hillary women I'd be insulted by the gesture. Has anyone heard what the actual Hillary women think?