[lbo-talk] nutters electrified

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Aug 30 21:17:26 PDT 2008

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Wendy Lyon wrote:

> I think if I was one of these Hillary women I'd be insulted by the
> gesture. Has anyone heard what the actual Hillary women think?

Pretty much exactly what you just said: they're insulted by the gesture. I thought Gail Collins wrote a good column summing it up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/30/opinion/30collins-.html

AFAICT, no Hillary woman takes seriously the idea that any of their brethren will vote Republican because of Palin. As Collins says, it's as daft as thinking they'd vote Republican because Quayle was cute (which a lot of Repugs did think). And the more the men on her side call her a babe, the more absurd the lure becomes.

But OTOH, Palin's ability to electrify the nutters might well matter in terms of Repug turnout. Up until now the nutters have hated McCain no matter how nutty he's tried to sound. But now they have a win-win: they can support him, and then pray for him to die.

Michael