[lbo-talk] Gallup.Com: Obama National Security Picks Get High Marks

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 2 14:40:42 PST 2008

On Dec 2, 2008, at 5:27 PM, Lenin's Tomb wrote:

> Public opinion on imperialism may be exactly as you say - at least,
> I think
> the underlying assumptions of US supremacy remain intact. However,
> both the
> wars on Afghanistan and Iraq are deeply unpopular. In addition, I
> detect no
> enthusiasm for an attack on Iran. To that extent, the approval of
> Obama's
> hawkish cabinet probably doesn't reflect a positive feeling about
> the hawks'
> policies.

Not sure, as my kid says. I really wonder how a "surge" in Afg would play with the masses. There seems to be wide belief that the surge in Iraq worked in some sense. Not sure either about the last sentence - these people were all presented as hawks. The media's clear on this. On war, Clinton ran palpably to the right of Obama in the primaries. She never regretted voting for the Iraq war. Gates has run the Iraq war. Obama won mainly because the economy sucks - have any American politicians paid a price for supporting the invasion? Lieberban got re- elected, and then re-absorbed into the DP.

Doug