[lbo-talk] Gallup.Com: Obama National Security Picks Get High Marks

Mark DeLucas delucasm at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 15:31:12 PST 2008

The public approves of Obama's team because every single media voice does.  They're very well portrayed--as tough, competent--without exception.  Naturally the public follows.  As such it'd be very hard to draw general conclusions about the public's imperial appetites from this particular case, although what Doug says is probably correct.

Not sure, as my kid says. I really wonder how a "surge" in Afg would play with the masses. There seems to be wide belief that the surge in Iraq worked in some sense. Not sure either about the last sentence - these people were all presented as hawks. The media's clear on this. On war, Clinton ran palpably to the right of Obama in the primaries. She never regretted voting for the Iraq war. Gates has run the Iraq war. Obama won mainly because the economy sucks - have any American politicians paid a price for supporting the invasion? Lieberban got re-elected, and then re-absorbed into the DP.