[lbo-talk] blacks about as morally conservative as Republicans

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Dec 3 14:00:33 PST 2008

``PRINCETON, NJ -- Only 31% of black Democrats in America say homosexual relations are morally acceptable, roughly the same as the 30% of Republicans who agree, while very much different from the 61% of nonblack Democrats who say homosexual relations are morally acceptable....''

I don't know why, but this thread and its relatives are beginning to piss me off. Something like red baiting, or divide and conquer...

Most people in this country are uptight about sex. That's why the right prefers to frame any and all issues around `family values' , especially in moral terms, and hopefully with children involved somehow.

Then another thing. These kind of polls tell me nothing. There is no such thing as a black Democrat. There is no breakdown of region, age, gender, income, education, urban, rural, etc. Who the fuck are we talking about here.

And then lastly, the implication is that somehow the putative moral conservatism of black voters counted as the `swing' that won Prop 8, which is impossible since it won by some large margin. I forget what.

Let's try an elevate the discussion here, if there is anything worth elevating.

CG