[lbo-talk] In Which, At Long Last, I Ride With Mephistopheles and Faust To The East

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 15:38:03 PST 2008

It's cool you got to see Murnau's "Faust" at all, let alone on a PSP, but I am of the grousy David Lynch set (<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0>) who thinks watching movies on such small screens really cheats the viewer of the film maker's intended experience. There are a lot of movies that had a large impact on me that I simply don't think would have been as meaningful were they shrunken down to the size of a deck of cards.

"Vampyr" and "Haxan" are two b&w movies sort of in the vein of the 1926 "Faust" you wonderfully write about, and watching both those on a large screen is really a mesmerizing, rich thing. Even having them on mute in the background (on a large screen) while doing something else really sets a cool mood. I am sill looking forward to the fully restored, extended version of "Metropolis" that was recently discovered and which I posted about here some time back.

Anyway, none of this is meant to take away from the tech prowess here, just a tangential comment on the aesthetic deficiency (imo) of micro-screen movie watching.

Cheers,

-B.

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

"I downloaded it, merged in a subtitle file and converted the media type to a PSP compatible form of mpeg."