[lbo-talk] In Which, At Long Last, I Ride With Mephistopheles and Faust To The East

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 17:19:46 PST 2008

B wrote:

It's cool you got to see Murnau's "Faust" at all, let alone on a PSP, but I am of the grousy David Lynch set (<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0>) who thinks watching movies on such small screens really cheats the viewer of the film maker's intended experience. There are a lot of movies that had a large impact on me that I simply don't think would have been as meaningful were they shrunken down to the size of a deck of cards.

[...]

Oh, I agree with Lynch (and you) about the serious weaknesses of the small screen experience. Though as small screens go, the PSP's display creates an oddly wide screen feel (Cinemascope in your jacket pocket!).

But I was so eager to watch the movie, and so sure I wouldn't soon have a chance to do so on the big flat screen my brilliant wife purchased before Cashpocalypse hit, that I created a portable copy to add a silver sheen to my morning commute.

I have burned a DVD however and will eventually view it in a more appropriate aspect ratio. Probably while that big eyed little girl sits on my lap, clapping all the while as if she's a 1950's game show audience member.

"Sweetheart, are you clapping for the profoundly entertaining evil of Old Scratch? Or maybe Murnau's use of shadow."

"Yes!" clap clap clap.

.d.