[lbo-talk] blacks about as morally conservative as Republicans

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Dec 3 19:40:50 PST 2008

>>> shag carpet bomb
look, you may think it's not much, but let me tell you: working among people who can't bother to be p.c. about it? lemme tell you something: i went home on a daily basis last year during my first 6 months as the only white queer on the team, wanting regularly to rip some heads off, I was so incensed by what went on around me.

i'll take p.c. any day over this shit i have to put up with.

you accept that white working class guys are blunt and un-pc, but somehow you can't fathom blacks are blunt and un-pc? i think that's pretty telling right there.

you know, the truly SAD thing about the repeated refusals to actually listen to what dwayne is saying is that if you spent 1/10th of the time you spent reading up on neocons on reading up on the history of blacks in this country -- about the interconnections between racism, sexism; about the constant threat to black masculinity; about the church and its role; about the black middle class and the constant emphasis on black families as in the huge desire to have a two parent, nukULAR family (when all the white progressives are screaming for a breaking down of that model), etc. etc.

it would all make perfect sense.

it makes perfect sense to ask why white xtians are homophobic, to ask: what are they getting out of? _why_?

no one every says: it's just their religion. instead, the insist on lengthy studies to ask: why are they attracted to _that_ religion and not something else? they ask: _why_ are the politicized and willing to _vote_ on these issues, and not other issues. what is in it for them? how are they acting as agents in the world?

but black folks? why blacks folks got themselves some reeeeeeligion. so we don't have to ask why? it's just, what was it adolph reed said about hillary clinton? She never really had to say, "them darkies loves their religion" but she might as well have. and that's what goes on here when religion is _the_ explanation, rather than seeing it for what it is: an indicator, a footprint in the sand, a mark of something much bigger and more complicated.

of course, the religion explanation is also useful for erasing agency as well. well, they're just religious. and therefore, you know, brainwashed. they just swallow whole whatever some preacher says and don't think for themselves. what can ya do?

christ. talk about needing to pull this conversation out of the shithole that it supposedly sank in before -- which by the way was _never_ about any claims that blacks were responsible for prop 8. feel free to quote someone here who said that. TIA.

^^^ CB: Yeah. And rappers don't seem to be coming from a Christian point of view, so it would be necessary to posit a non-Christian explanation of Black rappers homophobia, no ? Rappers don't have Christian morals much.