[lbo-talk] In Which, At Long Last, I Ride With Mephistopheles and Faust To The East

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 02:39:14 PST 2008

Although I consider myself a cinephile, BluRay does NOT appeal to me.

In fact, BluRay is just becoming a niche medium for wealthier enthusiasts, like LaserDisc a few years back, rather than something that will phase out the very high quality regular DVDs being made now. Especially in this economy.

Upgrading something to super duper BluRay quality just to shrink it down to a pocket sized viewing screen seems perverse to me.

Did I say finding titles in BluRay sucks, even if money were no issue (which it is)? _Finding Nemo_ and that kind of movie is ubiquitous inBluRay. Too much $$$ for slightly better quality for a shit selection of films. And then -- shrunk down to a very small screen? No thanks!

I'm lucky if some of the movies I want are available on plain old DVD at all, let alone on the LaserDisc niche medium of our era, BluRay.

An example is the 60s gothic chiller _Eye of the Devil_, starring a black-clothed Sharon Tate (as well as Deborah Kerr, David Niven, and others) as an occult witch, available on DVD only through illegal/bootlegging means, even though footage from the film of Shaon Tate performing evil pagan rites was used sensationalistically in the press after the Manson murders, out of context, as if she were involved in Satanism.

And Peter Watkins's 1967 _Privilege_ just came out on *regular DVD* officially for the first time in September of *this year.* Finding this on BluRay would be impossible. I don't want to see every crease in every actor's face in movies like _Enchanted_ or _Kung Fu Panda_.

BluRay + very small screen seems to defeat the purpose.

-B.

dredmond at efn.org wrote:

"I've found it depends on the work of art. Lots of media survive the transition surprisingly well - anime, documentaries, music videos, interviews, TV shows and videogame walkthroughs are fine. But colors and motion do get washed out, so epics like "The Return of the King" are best reserved for widescreen Bluray. (That said, word on the street is Sony is working on a future handheld with a crystal-clear screen, capable of near-Bluray fidelity)."