[lbo-talk] blacks about as morally conservative as Republicans

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Dec 4 08:42:51 PST 2008

>>> "Philip Pilkington"

Well this is completely unfair... A while ago I posted claiming that this *very particular* strain of homophobia could probably be traced to to both black people's lower socio-economic and their attempt to form an identity out of the wreckage of some 300 years of enslavement, be it physical or moral.

^^^ CB: How is it that low income or slavery legacy would cause tendency to homophobia ?

Well, there is the notion that "the rich get richer and the poor get children ".

^^^^

This, for me, is not just about black culture, its about a nasty tendency for "progressives" to try and externalise the blame for certain actions by minority groups onto the "bigger picture" - a bit like some liberals/conservatives try to do to justify Israeli actions in Palestine through historical reference - and as I said, while sometimes this can be interesting or useful sometimes it comes across as simply being a repugnant manifestation of res-sentiment.

^^^^ CB:Ah , how did I know res-sentiment would be one of the theories here.

I said just yesterday:

CB: The thing is blacks have a slave morality, like Nietzsche said. I think they are res-sentimenting. Hey, have you read _ Black Bourgeoisie_ ?

^^^

Anytime I encounter this I'm always reminded of a quote by Adorno which he wrote while in exile from Hitler's Germany:

"It would be poor psychology to assume that exclusion arouses only hate and resentment; it arouses too a possessive, intolerant kind of love, and those whom repressive culture has held at a distance can easily enough become its diehard defenders"

^^^^ CB: What is the evidence that this is true concerning "blacks" ?