[lbo-talk] Obama, 1996 model

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Dec 4 10:06:16 PST 2008

[I posted this back in Feb. Worth re-reading now. Adolph Reed in the Village Voice, 1996]

Right now in Chicago, for instance, we're getting a foretaste of the new breed of foundation-hatched black communitarian voices; one of them, a smooth Harvard lawyer with impeccable do-good credentials and vacuous-to-repressive neoliberal politics, is running for a state senate seat with a base entirely in the liberal foundation and development worlds. His fundamentally bootstrap line is softened by a patina of the rhetoric of authentic community, talk about meeting in kitchens, small-scale solutions to social problems, and the predictable elevation of process over program--the point where identity politics converges with old-fashioned middle-class reform in favoring form over substance. I suspect that his ilk is the wave of the future in black politics here, as in Haiti and wherever the International Monetary Fund has sway. So far the black activist response hasn't been up to the challenge. We have to do better.