[lbo-talk] blacks about as morally conservative as Republicans

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Thu Dec 4 09:12:24 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 08:43:41AM -0800, Chris Doss snarkily wrote, without a single line break:

> Now, while I realize that of course 95% of the credit
> in abolishing Jim Crow must of course go to secular Marxists, who are
> at the spearpoint of every social change, some small middling role was
> played by the churches.

Of course, that begs the question of what role the churches, specifically the Baptist churches in the Southern US, played in the social movement you are describing. I could unionize my workplace by holding meetings in the basements of ice rinks, but that wouldn't necessarily give ice skating a special role in my movement.

Likewise the West makes special point of talking about the virgins awaiting jihadists who die for their cause. These jihadis are killing and dieing due to problems in this world, not simply for some special reward in the alleged next.

So religion has played a part of all sorts of social movements, both good and bad, but seems to be simply the institutional framework on which some social movements attach and then infect, for good or bad. My city's NewSDS group and Coalition for Peace and Justice both have a lot of meetings and do work by operating out of the local Mennonite churches, but I doubt the religion itself plays any special role.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim: beyondzero123 yahoo msg: beyondzero123

The technology that extends our senses is increasingly difficult to distinguish from the technology that creates our senses.

-Richard Thieme