[lbo-talk] Catholicism, was Re: blacks about as morally conservative as Republicans

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 5 12:36:33 PST 2008

At 11:26 AM 12/5/2008, Chris Doss wrote:

>Catholics (orthodox ones, anyway) view homosexuality in the church
>as a grievous sin to be purged.

And if their priest is gay? I know lots of members of a Catholic congregation in a small town in southern Spain, a region that was a Franco stronghold. They know their priest is gay and they haven't purged him.

The first time I visited Spain I went to the restroom in a club and there was a condom machine in there. This was before condoms were out on the top shelf in the U.S. I hadn't expected that at all because of preconceptions about Catholicism's hold on Spain.

>Though God knows the seminary at the catholic university I did my
>grad work at was full of gays. People didn't like talking about it much.

Because if they talked about it they'd have to denounce it.

>I was under the impression that lots of black rappers are, in fact,
>religious. No?

Kurtis Blow tried a career revival, pun intended, doing gospel rap. I don't think that makes him religious any more than Rod Stewart doing lounge standards makes him Frank Sinatra.

Besides, when has being religious ever been closely correlated with upright behavior or judgement of other's behavior in the entertainment world?