[lbo-talk] Catholicism, was Re: blacks about as morally conservative as Republicans

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 5 12:04:48 PST 2008

Chris Doss wrote:

> Catholics (orthodox ones, anyway) view homosexuality in the church as a grievous sin to be purged. Though God knows the seminary at the catholic university I did my grad work at was full of gays. People didn't like talking about it much.

That may be the doctrine of The Church -- what evidence do you have as to the number of individual catholics who on this or any other given social question or matter of private behavior precisely follows church doctrine. It is absurd to simply identify the belief of individuals with a formal dogma. That's a sociologicval question, not one that can be argued by reference to what the Church teaches. I have a number of Catholic friends who support abortion. That anecdote proves nothing, but neither does your citation of Church doctrine.

Carrol