[lbo-talk] Dr Marx in the comics

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Dec 6 15:31:59 PST 2008

Just had an interesting experience. My teenage daughter -- who never reads books if she can help it, but loves comic strips -- asked me what this dude Karl Marx was all about.

I thought for a minute and then told her that he was a guy who thought history was all about class struggle. (Shallow, I know, but you try 25 words or less while a teenage girl with a short attention span looks at you skeptically).

Her response: Well, duuhh, everybody knows *that*. Why do people think he's so crazy?

I wanted to find a comic-strip version of Capital to give her. Apparently there isn't one yet in English, though just last month, it seems, a manga version appeared in Japan.

This seems shocking to me. Why on earth hasn't somebody done a comic-strip Capital years ago? Marx is so concrete and vivid -- he'd be as big a treat for an illustrator as Dickens.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org