[lbo-talk] Catholicism, was Re: blacks about as morally conservative as Republicans

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 03:58:30 PST 2008

On 05/12/2008, Jenny Brown <jbrown72073 at cs.com> wrote:

> Poll at:
> http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/btjusticehuman_rightsra/492.php?lb=bthr&pnt=492&nid=&id=

I find those numbers suspicious, and not just for Poland. The question asked is what should Government's role in abortion be, and the choices are:

a. Leave it up to the individual b. Discourage abortion using non-punitive measures c. Discourage abortion using criminal enforcement

The US results are a. 69% b. 21% c. 8%

Unless the poll was limited to San Francisco I seriously doubt that actually reflects average American views on the subject. Only 21% think the government should try to non-punitively discourage abortion? Come on.

Some of the other countries' results strike me as equally dubious (Mexico more pro-choice than Russia?), but others here would have more insight into them than I would.