[lbo-talk] Catholicism, was Re: blacks about as morally conservative as Republicans

Jenny Brown jbrown72073 at cs.com
Fri Dec 5 09:20:47 PST 2008

Chris Doss:

>I'd like to make another point. In France and Spain, and I guess to some extent in Italy, fervent Catholicism is associated with the ancien regime and fascism (boo, hiss). In Poland, it is associated with Solidarity. In Ireland, I imagine, it is associated with Irish nationalism. So, the perception is very different, and accordingly so are the respect and influence enjoyed by the Church.

According to one recent poll 66% of Poles think the gov't should have no role on abortion, that it should be left to individual choice. Only 6 percent favor criminal enforcement against it. Apparently the 'respect and influence' doesn't extend too far here. The Church controlling laws is not equal to the Church controlling minds.

Poll at: http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/btjusticehuman_rightsra/492.php?lb=bthr&pnt=492&nid=&id=

Jenny Brown