[lbo-talk] Happy 80th Birthday, Noam Chomsky

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 7 21:59:17 PST 2008

Well, I gave Doug one of those $1, "fake," jpeg birthday cakes to his Facebook profile, so that should count for something.

Chomsky, on the other hand, when he's tried to do a blog (the now-defunct "Turning The Tide" blog Z-Mag tried to get him to do) or have "profiles," has ended up being underwhelming in those arenas, and he's inevitably ended them all (AFAIK).

Just goes to show that just because someone is a good writer, or a good thinker, that that does not automatically translate to "good blogger," too. Blogging is its own special type of writing, a whole new sort of beast. You can be a good writer (of books, poetry, nonfiction, etc.), without being particularly good at blogging. And vice versa.

-B.

Sean Andrews wrote:

"And, as he's humbly avoided mentioning, it is also the birthday of on Doug Henwood--though it is technically already past in the Eastern Time Zone. Still I'm glad he was born."