[lbo-talk] Bill Ayers Whitewashes History, Again

Mark DeLucas delucasm at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 07:59:04 PST 2008

These sorts of critiques aren't worth very much in so far as they all fail to grapple with the central question--what are the limits on resistance?  If you take seriously the idea that your government is in the process of destroying a country and killing millions--if you really appreciate the gravity of the crime--what follows?  A difficult question.  To slam Ayers tout court is morally feckless (particularly coming from bystanders to the Iraq war).  It also, incidentally, perpetrates a kind of whitewash on the reality of the Vietnam War (as in "it wasn't that bad").

--- On Wed, 12/10/08, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote: From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Bill Ayers Whitewashes History, Again To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Date: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 9:22 AM

On Dec 10, 2008, at 10:06 AM, John Thornton wrote:

> For fucks sake, can't people let this go?
> Why is this so damned important to some?

Liberals keep washing their hands of the radical taint?

I'm not a big fan of Ayers, but I thought he struck the right tone in my interview with him - he knows he was wrong, understands how it happened, does his best today, and urges people to question themselves regularly.