[lbo-talk] Bill Ayers Whitewashes History, Again

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 10 10:09:29 PST 2008

Mark DeLucas wrote:

> These sorts of critiques aren't worth very much in so far as they all fail to grapple with the central question--what are the limits on resistance?

There are no limits _in principle_ or abstractly. But there is the matter of political intelligence, I don't object to the WU violence as such; I object to the fact that it was under the circumstances _coujnter-productive_: it contributed to breaking up the anit-war movement rather than developing it. I have contempt for the Weathermen for their self-indulgence.

Fred Hampton spent the last months of his life speaking to anyone and evereyone who would listen on the subject of Weatherman stupidity, their "Custeristic" tactics. And Hampton did not believe in non-violence; he believed in not being stupid.

Carrol