[lbo-talk] zeitgeist the movie

HMFJ hardwin1 at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 11 09:47:38 PST 2008

Hey all,

I've been a bit curious to know what people here think of the whole fractional reserve banking critique? I've nearly finished Michael Rowbotham's Grip of Death. To me, not a trained economist, it seems like a credible critique. Why is the economy, national and global, groaning under a weight of ever increasing debt, which we're forced to work ever harder to pay off, despite our technological advances - with political effects of forced pacification, discipline by example of e.g. evictions from mortgaged homes, if you let up for one moment on that work? It pushes Rowbotham for one to some quite radical stances (absolute rejection of IMF-led globalisation etc), despite standard bourgeois liberal critique of a straw man ("it's not the rich's fault"), and the required denunciation of Marx. So I'm tempted see it as a useful aspect of critique of the way one part of the world economic system functions, which could easily sit within a Marxist or other systemic anti-capitalist critique - in the same way as say an ecological critique from a liberal perspective could also sit within that framework and have an instrumental value within it. However one rarely if ever hears any critique of such within Marxist or other radical left circles. Is it a non-issue, a misunderstanding?

I watched the first ten minutes of Zeitgeist, I should give it a longer go, but I found it pretty dire - ominous sounding discussion of some sort of religious conspiracy or something mixed with seemingly gratuitous footage of 9-11. Obviously I need to watch the whole thing before really saying but I thought it was dubious in the extreme.

Thanks a lot, from a nearly first-time poster, lurker for some months, I've enjoyed and learned from immensely the discussions here.