[lbo-talk] Che Che Che

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Dec 12 06:02:50 PST 2008

Just read A.O. Scott's review of "Che" in the Times. Scott tries hard to criticize the film, yet can't help but admire its many qualities, so I'm guessing, based on this leakage by someone who's clearly antagonistic to Che, the Cuban revolution, etc., that Steven Soderbergh made a really good film, and that Benicio Del Toro will be nominated for an Oscar (though he won't win --Sean Penn has it locked for "Milk," in my humble). Amazingly, Scott doesn't perform the standard liberal Che-was-a-monster-that-naive-lefties-worship routine. I'm sure that'll come when Paul Berman, Eric Alterman, Marc Cooper, Hitchens and like-minded others tap out their reviews.

Dennis