[lbo-talk] Hypocricy Pays?

Peter Ward nevadabob at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Dec 12 15:03:37 PST 2008

Earlier received an email from DemocracyNow soliciting donations opening as follows:

"On Election Day, a record number of voters turned out to participate in our political process. How can we make sure those voices continue to be heard?"

The ACLU are notorious for even more disparate appeals to sentiment as well having hired a solicitation company called Telefund to call at all hours until you finally donate to end the annoyance. I think these organization do very good work and it is irrational and self-destructive not to support them simply because they use such disgusting tactics. But what's interesting is why such tactics are felt necessary. Why have they picked up the weapons of the institutions they're fighting against? Why not appeal to reason and logic instead and why not tell the truth instead? Chronically pessimistic, leftists always say more or less becuase people are too weak and too stupid and too sentimental. But if so, what is one doing as a leftist? The whole point is that you believe in the efficacy of the general population in taking care of itself. If one doesn't feel this way then why isn't one instead an apologist for some form of totalitarianism? In many cases, frankly, many leftists are in fact worshipers of power to cowardly to admit so openly. However I think there is indeed a superstition that infect those who are genuinely humane in outlook (base on what the ACLU does hardly can it be accused of aiding and abetting power) that causes them to believe that deceit is necessary to achieve any political objective. Not a superstition that is fully conscious but certainly one that is operative. I think this tendency needs to be recognized as recognition is the first step to recovery.

_________________________________________________________________ Get a bird’s eye view of the world with Multimap http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/115454059/direct/01/