[lbo-talk] Susie Bright on Bettie Page

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 16:48:31 PST 2008

One of the interesting things about Bettie Page are that her most famous photos were shot by a female photographer (Bunny Yeager), and her most famous likenesses have been portrayed by the female artist Olivia. (The basis of many a tattoo.)

Page had the loveliest smile of anyone I've ever seen on film. She made girl-on-girl bondage seem like warm-hearted family fun. It's hard to overestimate her influence not just on pop culture, but how her looks influenced the goth, rockabilly, punk, etc., subcultures.

"Cult Epics" has a 3-DVD box set of all of Page's films that I own, and can recommend. Hamilton Toys also makes a Bettie Page doll (in fetish harem dress) I also have (in its box, on display top of my fridge). I always tried to buy the officially-sanctioned Page stuff, which is VERY hard to do. She has to be one of the most bootlegged personalities ever. Also, I have the official 2008 Bettie Page calendar on my wall. Oddly, it does not list Valentine's Day as a holiday (no joke). But it has Bettie's birthday noted: April 22.

-B.

Tangentially related to Page's