[lbo-talk] Catholicism, was Re: blacks about as morally conservative as Republicans

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 16:05:20 PST 2008

Abortion is a philosophically really hard question. Politically it is easy for people on the left. As someoneone once said, I don't support abortion on demand: a polite request should suffice. But there are really good arguments that it is morally wrong. Anti-abortionists should (though they rarely do) also acknowledge that there are powerful arguments that it is morally OK. In both cases the arguments tend to be reductios: if you accept these premises, we can't stop sliding down a slippery slope and ending up with conclusions we do not want.

Briefly to give examples:

If you say abortion is OK because fetuses are not conscious or self-conscious beings, what's wrong with infanticide? Why is passing through the cervix a morally significant event that makes murder to kill you on the outside but a woman's right on the inside?

If you say that abortion is OK because the fetus, even if it is a person with all the rights that normal adults have, does not have the right to commandeer a woman's body against her wishes, aren't you saying that it has no right to the _means_ of life? But if you are a leftist, don't you think that everybody who has been born has an equal right to the means of life? Don't we support providing everyone with those means even if some people don't want to share and have to be forced to cooperate?

On the other hand . . . .

If you say that the fetus is a person with all the rights that a normal adult person has, or at least a right to life even if the pregnant woman (whom antiabortionists inevitably describe as "the mother") objects to providing it, aren't you saying that everyone has a right to means of life, that we need social welfare programs and guaranteed full employment and national health, even if some people don't want to pay for these things? (Lots of anti-abortionists are right wingers who do not want these things.

If you say the fetus is a person, at the moment of birth and going back to conception because, even though there are significant changes between a fertilized egg and a near-newborn, there is no point ot event that you can single out as making the difference, do you want deny abortions to women whose lives or health would be endangered by pregnancy, or who are pregnant because of incest or rape?

If you say that a fertilized egg is a person because there is no point to draw the line between and a newborn, aren't you saying, given that many pregnancies spontaneously abort, so that the fertilized egg is really only potentially a person, that anything that is potentially a person has a right to whatever is required to make that potentiality real? Doesn't that mean that contraception is equivalent to murder? In fact, that failing to have as much sex as you can with the intention of making babies makes you mass murderer?

OK, nuff said along those lines. The arguments get quite arcane very quickly, and people have written multi-volume books and libraries of scholarly articles on them.

The thing is, though people on both sides repeat (usually in laypeople's simplified terms) versions these arguments, I do not believe that the abortion debate is a social conflict driven by philosophical disagreement. The philosophy is a way that people express themselves, but there is something else going on here. It is, as the man with the pipe used to say, No Accident that the pro-choice and anti-abortion positions are part of a constellation of associated political attitudes that are logically unrelated but iusually grouped.

Pro-choice people tend to be progressives, leftists, liberals, and feminists. Anti-abortion people tend to be right wing, often fundamentalists or evangelicals, aggressively pro-capitalist, and very patriarchal and anti-feminist. There are exceptions, but they tend to be "prove the rule" exceptions. Catholicism is anti-abortion and has a theoretical committment to a progressive social gospel that repudiates a society based on greed, but despite the occasional Papal pronouncement, where does the Church put its efforts?

I think that for complicated reasons that are hard to spell out, the abortion debate really is about, most narrowly, women's rights to self-determination and the defensibility (or not) of patriarchy, and more broadly about whether you're on the right or the left, to put it crudely. That, and not a curious attachment to some metaphysical doctrine about the moral status of the fetus and the nature of personhood, is what makes this disagreement political. Pragmatically it also indicates where you should come down on the morality of abortion.

Btw, if you think fetuses are people or have the moral rights of people, it is very hard to see how you can defend the _legality_ of abortion. One possible way is to say that we shouldn't make laws based on highly debated deep philosophical views that are not widely shared.